History of Jackpot
After Idaho outlawed all forms of casino gaming in 1954 Pete Piersanti (Cactus Pete) and Don French moved their slot machine operations South of the Idaho border to Nevada. Piersanti's and French's gaming establishments were named Cactus Petes and the Horseshu Club, respectively. Piersanti is credited for founding the Town of Jackpot.
In May 1958, the settlement was first recognized by the Elko County commissioners as an unincorporated town named "Horse Shu", with a population of 65. Due to a dispute over the name by Piersanti and because the club owners could not agree on a name, the county commissioners renamed it a month later as "Unincorporated Town No. 1".The clubs compromised on the name "Jackpot" in 1959.